28 June 2009

Jogja 03 Lunch at Pesta Perak

When all the travelers are ready we boarded the air-con tour bus.
The tour guide from Borobodur Discovery Tour,
introduced himself as Pak Tri.

Of course that is his simple name. His avtual name was much longer.
I remembered something like Trisno Buwono.

Pak Tri is a cheerful young man of about 35 of age.
It was a Saturday and he said it is normal to have quite a jam
in the Jogja town centre on that day.
It was also a begining of their school holidays.

After quite a lengthy historical background of Jogja
he finally said that we were heading for lunch.

Wow !!! how the enzyme in my stomach suddenly pop out
from the it's dry wall.

Why not...I had no meal in the plane,
and in the morning at Terminal One Staff canteen,
I had not the apetite for heavy breakfast.

Our lunch was at this prestigoius Pesta Perak Restaurant.
Translated into English it's means Silver Jubilee Restaurant.
No wonder Pak Tri said that this restaurant is normally
patronize for couples who had been married for 25 years.

Of course it was not restricted for such couples only.
I would believe that the prestigious name reflect the kind of service
and the ambience it offer to the diners.

Indeed, it was prestigious and the food they served were elegant and delicious.
Among the speciality popular local dish is the young jackfruit
cooked in sweet soya sauce.

Of course an adventurous traveler like me will try it out,
and I would say that not quite to my taste as it was a little too sweet
to pair up wih rice. Anyway there sambal belachan to
compliment it.


Another diner pointed to me the bull skin curry.
I tried that too and couldn't admire it as I felt
like eating a sponge.

Of course there were many other specialities
which will take too much time to describe.

The ambience was very soothing although the weather outside
was very hot. Perfect for loving couples.

Traditional items like wayang kulit and musical instruments
bring the bamboo wall to life.

Just opposite of the restaurant was a church.
I had forgotten to identify what church it was.
Anyway Pak Tri said that the majority of the population
in Jogja are Muslims.

After lunch we headed for the next destination.
Along the way I saw the magnificent sign boards
showing road and town names and directions.


There were many grafities on building walls.
Ironically they all look very nicely done,
as though they were purposely allowed to be
grafitied by the authority.


Standing proud at the entrance of their towns and villages,
are kind of arches, which are very common also in Malaysia.

Perhaps they are remnants of the historical cultures
of the Malay Archipelago which is strongly adhered to
by the Malays in South-East Asia as "Nusantara".


Nusantara is a kind of the Malay Brotherhood.
Such that all the Malays in Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore
and as far as Philipines and Thailand will also adopt
ourselves as brothers.

When we meet in the street, we will easily smile
and greet each other.

Once, during my tour of duty, I greeted a Malay man,
we shooked hands, and then we parted.

My Singaporean Chinese lady working colleague asked me,

"Was that man your friend or relative?"

"No.." I answered.

Then she asked,

"How come you all shook hands like friends?"

I had to brief her a little bit of our religious culture
that encourages us to greet each other and shake
hands whenever we meet.


Folks we stopped here for a while
and continue again in Jogja 04
with the help of God Al-Mighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment