12 September 2008

There are still narrow streets in Singapore

The fact that F1 will be held in Singapore shows that we have high quality roads and highly efficient road construction technology and maintenance. We can reassure the F1 drivers on that, but what we cannot promise them is the weather. We can have unpredictable very heavy rain, or we can have haze from forest fire next door. So our weather wizard must be on their toe all time to foresee in their weather gadgets to see the surroundings environment.

Despite that we still have norrow roads and streets in other parts of developed Singapore.


This one here is Jln Uji. Jln is an acronym for Jalan which means Road in English. Apparently, these road names shown above is Malay names. Uji means test. Therefore, Jln Uji would means "Test Road".

If fits the name, because for new drivers, you will face the challenge to adjust your gears, brakes and accelerator as you try to climb up the hilly road.

Anyhow, it is still manageable, until you reach to the end of Jln Uji, as shown by the next picture.



This above picture shows the condition of a road named Lorong Chamar. This is again a Malay name. Lorong means 'Lane' and Chamar is a name of a bird. A resident of that area came to meet me while I was on my tour of duty, sometime in August 2008.

He was reporting to me that, the residents there had approached the Member of Parliament to consider improvement of this particular road but no improvement had been done. I could only nodded my head with occasional, "yes you are right", because I am not in-charge of road improvement or management.

To be franked, I had detour my actual tour of duty, just curious to see how does the area of Jln Uji is all about. I have seen these names in my street directory but have never been there. So, since I am already nearby why not pop in to appreciate the ambience of nature life in this foothills of the highest hill of Singapore, that is, Bukit Timah Hill Nature Reserve area. Bukit means 'hill' and Timah means 'tin'. So its 'Tin Hill isn't it..!!!

Some months before this, i.e. in February 2008, I came by another narrow road of Singapore, Jln Gaharu.

Gaharu means 'sandalwood'. So this is 'Sandalwood Road'. I even have a video recording of this stretch of road. I try to include it here if possible, because I am not well-verse with such editing in the blog.


Was I driving in the wrong direction of a one way road?


Wow so lucky I was not, as the word 'HUMP' is facing me. But this is very narrow. What happen if another vehicle come from the opposite direction. By the way, I am not a new driver to be afraid of on-coming vehicle, but just curious that there are still narrow streets in Siangapore.
Yes there are in fact still many narrows roads and streets in developed unique Singapore. See next picture below.



This one is Smith Street in the middle of the hustle and bustle of busy Chinatown area in Singapore. This is a scene in the early morning on 28 August 2008. I can't imagine how bad it would be during peak hours where there are many vehicle plying around these narrow street.


I had to drive very slowly to avoid knocking down the lady on my right. And if front of her there are even more pedestrians.


I had to stop because the lorry on my left seems to be reversing.



Ahhh at last I made it through but now another hazard infront of me along the same Smith Street at 8:05 am. Alorry is coming from the wrong direction on my right. On my left is a stationary lorry parked for loading and umloading within a yellow box area. In front of the stationary lorry is a car parked on a double-yellow line. Next to the car is another car who had to stop to give way to pedestrian.
On that fateful day I reported half-an-late to work, because after this incidents at Smith Street I had to endure another traffic jam at Cecil Street where constructions are in progress to built the new MRT tunnel and a viaduct to cater for the flow of people and traffic towards Marina business area and the Intergrated Resort area at marina Bay.
Well....there is no use in complaining but it was just an observation. The rest I leave to GOD to fix up all loose things in life. I pray that GOD will educate people to behave in a manner that will not cuase inconveniences and dangers to others.

2 comments:

  1. I think the pictures at smith street terbalik. the yellow box first then the reversing lorry.

    I've always wondered what does camar mean and now i know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psst....actually I took many pictures of Smith Street, so I got confused.

    I didn't know you are very observant. I tot you were already fast asleep when we reach Smith Street.

    Thanks for the comments.

    I am thinking of making a link to your blog and Eddy's blog or even Taufiq and even others, but no time to concentrate.

    ReplyDelete