13 July 2008

UEFA 024 – Les Bicyclettes


UEFA 024 – Les Bicyclettes


On Sunday, after breakfast I went to Bregenz in Austria, with the intention to explore a town Lindau in Germany.



It was a successful trip and I took many photos along the way.


The buildings in Lindau are very historic and had detailed architecture.


From the museums and city centre I walked to Ferry Point. This is tne entrance of theport. I did climbed up the lightouse and it was an interesting climb.



As a son of a man who worked in the British Navy, I love the Lindau port very much. This picture was taken by my frind from the top of the lighthouse. Surely you would have noticed the castle wall which looks like the castle in the movie about Robin Hood. This castle has got the design of the Moors' castle.



Then I walked down to the main attraction of the port, the Ferry Point, where you can board ferries to many other places within the Lake of Bodensee, which is connecting Lindau to Bregenz in Austria and Roschahch in Switzerland, Schauffhausen and all the way to thw west German town of Stuttgart . With a special Swiss travel pass, you can board all the public transport, without having to pay any more extras. The tickets include also land and water transportation. But, of course, did not include the air planes.
Out transport system in Singapore should also implement such easy travel for tourists ticket system. One ticket can take all kinds of transportfor a certain period of time.



The crowd was at the ferry point. I saw a father and son was crawling on the floor at the walkway of the ferry point, doing floor art with crayon. The father was paintinga beautiful portrait of a sweet little girl.





In Bregenz, it was much quieter. The train and bus station was lonely.



From the train & bus station I walked to the town centre of Bregenz and the streets was also quiet. Along one of the lonely street I saw an old Mercedes, probably used during Hitler’s time.




Then it was time to go back to Heerbrugg in Switzerland.


This is a view of the yard nearby Leica factory. I managed to rent a bicycle from Mr Aerni, my training manager, so that I can go to more places during the weekends on bicycle. I also cycle to the factory every morning.



Wild Heerbrugg factory is an old 4-storey building, but, was undergoing major renovation. As a result our training was temporarily located at level one of the red administration building. Thus the training room became quite cramp. However cramp it was, there was always space for coffee room, where Mr Jungker will call us for break at 10am and 3pm.


After lunch I would walk around the neighborhood of Leica factory with Mike and Yakhzan. We strolled from streets to streets and made a loop back to the factory. During one of the afternoon stroll I saw Mr Jungker,my instructor in Leica, was riding on a bicycle home. He stayed nearby the factory. Therefore, driving was unnecessary.




As I had known, the Swiss are very particular about saving the Earth from pollution, and less driving means less carbon monoxide are produced. Even Mike also rode from Hotel Heerbruggerhof to the factory. He had managed to hire a bicycle from Mr Aerni.

When Mike finished his training he handed the bicycle to me to continue the rent. I must tell you that I really enjoyed the bicycle rides as long as I was in Heerbrugg. I rode to the farm behind Leica factory to see what were grown in the field. I also saw beautiful horses in their barn. It was a very free and tranquil experience. It was only me, nature and my Lord.
On another incident I also rode to the edge of River Rhine, but unfortunately, it was the new river bank which I am sure is a modified concrete river. I did not manage to go to the waters, because it was too far down the slope. Must have been the flood prevention strategy.
One weekend I rode the bicycle to a place near Au, about 5km from Heerbrugg. At this place there were many small huts. Each huts had a small compound where vegetables and flowers were planted. I learned later that it was a kind of weekend pastimes of the Swiss, i.e. doing gardening in a small garden. It reminded me of a German word ‘kindergarten’ which means ‘garden for the young’. But, this one is ‘garden for the old’.

484 words
Drafted on 07.04.2007
Edited on 03.05.2007 at 0029hrs
At Woodlands Avenue 5

No comments:

Post a Comment