24 July 2008

005-9c The Cave 18 : 23 - 24 - Do not be over-confident




Translation, Commentary & Explanation of Chapter 18 Al-Kahfi.

Literal Translation of verse 23.
And never say of anything, "Certainly, I shall do that tomorrow."

Commentary by Jalalain.
'ghadan', the last word in this sentence means atime in the future.

Commentary by Muhammad Asad.
And never say about anything,"Behold, I shall do this tomorrow."

Commentary by Abdullah Yusuf Ali.
Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow."

Commentary by Muhammad Taqiuddin & Muhsin Khan
And never say of anything,"I shall do such and such thing tomorrow."
======================================================

Literal Translation of verse 24.
Except, "if God wills it". And remember your Lord. When you forget, then say,
"May my Lord shows me nearer to this Truth."

Commentary by Jalalain.
Except by saying, "if God wills".
Which means that we surrender the execution of the matter in the hands of God.
And remember your Lord. If you forget, meaning if youhave forgotten in the beginning and then realize it later, and Al-Hasan said that if you are still withinthe same incident, then, say,
"May my Lord guide me to a nearer truth than this."
Which refers to the story of the Men of the Cave,to show the truth of my prophethood, and Allah didshow the Truth.

Commentary by Muhammad Asad.
Without adding "if God so will" And if you forget, thencall your Sustainer by saying
"I pray that my Sustainer guide me, even closer than this, to what is right."
Muhammad Asad wrote in his footnote that, according to almost all commentators, verses 23 & 24 was primarilyaddressed to Prophet Muhammad, who, on being asked by the pagan Quraysh as to what really happened to the 'Men of the Cave', is said to have replied,
"I shall give you my answer tomorrow."
As usual, the Prophet was expecting revelation from God to answer them. However, revelation was temporarily withheld from him in token of God's disapproval.
In the second instance, this exhortation expresses ageneral principle addressed to all believers. That is, we must always say "if God so will" when making promises and/or commitments.

Commentary by Abdullah Yusuf Ali.
Without adding "So please Allah!"
And call your Lord to mind when you forget and say,
"I hope that my Lord will guide me closer than this to the right road."
Verses 23 & 24 are parenthetical. We must never relyon our own resources as much as to forget God. If by any chance, we do forget, we must come back to Him and keep Him in remembrance, as did the Companions of the Cave.
In Geometry, the perfect circle is an ideal. Any givencircle that we draw, is not so perfect, that we cannotdraw one closer to the ideal.
So in our life, there is always hope of drawing closer and closer to God.

[My understanding is that, God is telling us, not to be over-confident in making promises and commitments, without asking for help and guidance from HIM.]
=================to be continued=====================

No comments:

Post a Comment