14 July 2009

I visited Microsoft Office's office

Microsoft Office's office

The address as I had it from the Microsoft On-Line is

One Marina Boulevard, #22-01 Singapore.

I thought it was somewhere near the Marina South MRT Station.
So I rode my bike via Raffles Quay, as there is a new link to
Marina South from there.

But, as I made my way into Raffles Quay at the junction of Finlayson Green,
I saw a tall building called One Marina Boulevard.

I paused at the entrance to the car park. I saw the security gurads
waving his hands, not because he recognized me, but he was
signalling that motorcyles is not allowed into the car park.

I turned right at the next junction and noticed that the road name is
Marina Boulevard. I parked my bike on the pavement
as there is no other option.

On my way up I saw thae building name is NTUC Income.

I went to the security counter, gave my NRIC to a charming lady
and registered as a visitor. She gave me a "Visitor" sticker.

I was puzzled and asked the security officer how to get thru the barrier,
as I was not given a bar-coded card. The security officer said something
and i thought I had to remove the sticker from my chest and tap it
onto the panel.

He tap my shoulder very friendly and said to me slow and clear,
"Enter your NRIC No. on the panel."

I did and the barrier opened.

I went straight up to Level 22 and proceed to the reception counter.

Another 2 charming ladies welcome me and asked how they can help me.

I said straight, " I want to buy the Microsoft Home Version 2007."

One of the lady answered, "O we don't sell that item here."

She looked like a Malay girl, but you never know she can be a Filipino.
So I continued to speak in English.

"I purposely came here to see Microsoft Office's office.
I thought you are somewhere near the beach there."
I tried to swerve my way around.

"Sir you can buy it from any computer shop." she continued.

"But the address is shown in the on-line technical support", I replied.

"That's strange." said the other lady who is a little older than the first one.

While they were browsing the on-line printouts I showed them,
I saw the picture of the
Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007
on the wall.
I also heard that they were talking in Malay. So both of them are Malay.

The elder lady addressed me, "Sir, I am sorry all the officers are not available."

"It's OK then. I will go and buy it from the computer shop.
Do you of any shop nearby?"

She pick up the phone and talked to someone,
"Derrick, there is a ........" she paused thinking what is the right word to describe me.
".......a person here. He wants to buy Microsoft Office Home Version 2007."
She paused again and then looked at me and said, "Funan Centre."

I thanked them for helping me out and as I was moving out the younger lady said,
"Encik boleh beli di mana-mana kedai komputer pun."

I smiled my way out figuring that she must be thinking,
"What is this old Malay man going to do with Microsoft Office 2007."

On my way down the lift I looked at myself in the mirrored wall of the lift and sigh...
"Hmm yeah I do looked old to come to One Marina Boulevard to buy Microsoft Office 2007".

I realised later that in the printout it was mebntioned that it is the corporate address.

I managed to get one at Harvey Norman in Funan Centre. It costs me S$248.00

On reaching home I quickly installed the 25-digit product code
and God willing you will be able to see the continuation of my Jogja trip soon.

4 comments:

  1. So expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to nominate you as Singapore's Best Blogger for this very entertaining post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, you should try Picasa which is a free, simple to use photo-editing software. :)

    http://picasa.google.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks aunty siti and tuminah for your supporting comments.

    I dun mind the x but i want to prove to myself that it is not difficult to upgrade myself as long as I have the determination and cheek to ask around.

    i paid that x package from Harvey Norman, because I couldn't find the right time and person to consult.

    I had an IT friend but he was lately very busy and I didn't get to talk to him or even had a glimpse of him. And I was too occupied by other things to call him at home.

    I hate myself for my reserved and exclusive
    attitude.

    About Picasa, i know nothing about it and not ready to embark into it, as it will surely take more of my time to learn something new.

    Anyway thanks for all your concern comments and i will keep them in mind.

    ReplyDelete