18 January 2008

UEFA 012 – Santis













UEFA 012 – Santis

Santis is 2502 meter above sea level. It was a breath-taking view from upthere though it was misty and traces of melting snow can be seen down thevalley. The gustily wind was cold, although it was a sunny afternoon.

After some light snacks and soft drink, we made our way down to Nesslau-Neu St Johann. We had our lunch there, in a decent restaurant.

After making my order, I rushed to the toilet, to remove the long-john I had under my clothing. I had it on, because I was expecting a very cold temperature up on the Santis. Under my jackets, I had 2 layers of T-shirts and a shirt. I also had 2 socks on. Now, I had to remove some of them, because I began to sweat.

I made a stupid impulsive blunder during that lunch. I ordered for a salad dish. It tasted too sour and I put it aside, but ordered another dish which was equally not pleasing to my taste buds. I took only half portion of that second dish.

Both Anke and Manfred had their wallets on the table. Neda, Jomaah and I,of different culture, kept our wallets safely in our pockets.

I called the charming young waitress for the bill and announced to her that I wanted to pay for all. Anke and Manfred turn down my offer, saying that it was a crazy decision, but I insisted, saying that I need to contribute something for the trip.

Apparently, I did not know that, my 2 Jordanian friends had committed to pay Anke SFr 20 each for the trip. I only knew it when I saw them paying Anke the money, at the end of the trip.
I handed to the waitress a SFr100 note. She returned me Sfr30.It was a very, very expensive meal for me.

I learned much later that, putting wallet and purse on the table is a sign of going on Dutch. Which means he/she is paying only her own meal.They are realistic in that sense, because, the meals in Switzerland are expensive, as I experienced.

After lunch we drove to Wattwil. Then into a tunnel to Kaltbrunn, Uznach and stopped for a while at Rapperswil.

328 words

==============will be continued============
~drafted on 07.12.2006
~edited on 28.03.2007
~at Woodlands avenue 5
~20:34 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment