17 August 2008

At the Pier


This Saturday morning, I was at the tip of the matured reclaimed land in the southern shore of Singapore. It was bright and sunny that I needed the ultraviolet sunglass to protect me eyes from the scorching sun. I was tired, but I dare not sit on this chair as it does not look stable enough.

I was leaning against the steel railing observing the ships and boats at the sea. There is this jetty here for a medium size junks and ferries.


On my right is the other jetty for smaller ferries and boats. Further still to my right is a very long jetty catered for the even smaller ferries and boats. Apparently, the destinations are mainly Batam. I noticed also that the waves are very mild here within the jetty area as there is a long concrete wall build underneath the jetty, that stop the waves from coming. So you see that the ferries and boats do not rock too much.

If you are wondering, my wife and I was on the third level of the jetty pier. That is why I could see a lot of activities going at the jetty. This level is called the "Roof Garden". It looks like a stadium isn't it.





At the first level or ground floor, is the entrance to the jetty. Passengers has to buy tickets from the counters and go through Singapore Immigration before we can go to the jetty.


But before all that, you may need to change money or buy some petty requirements or even to have some light snacks and drinks or perhaps also some souvenirs from Singapore.





Most of the paswsengers are Indonesians. This morning there were many Singapore students who were perhaps going on a study and/or voliunteerism tour to Batam.




Opposite the pier are trees and bushes.




Wherease, the shore alongside the pier are well kept and nicely decorated.




Drivers need not worry, as the parking coupon area are available alongside the main road leading to the pier. Compare to the nearby Central Business District (CBD) area, the parking charges here is cheaper, only 50 cents for half and hour. In the CBD is one dollar for half an hour.


Surprisingly during the day, the carparks are full. This picture was taken much earlier, on the 29 April 2008. At that time, I had an afternoon job assignment to examine the ground features at the pier.

If you are still wondering, I am talking about the new Marina South Pier, which is newly built at the southern tip of the reclamation area.


Apparently, Marina South Pier has replaced the Clifford Pier, which is not used anymore for ferrying passengers to Batam and other southern Islands of Singapore.












2 comments:

  1. Dear Uncle,

    I remembered those days when i were young and you used to bring me along for picnics n barbeques with your friends. I'll always remember the cool breeze of the sea near the beaches in Singapore and Subhanallah the beautiful view of ships transiting in the straits are sights i'll always cheerish.

    Thank you for your comments on 7 Star Resort Forest of Perak,maybe you could organise tours for singaporeans too come and see these natural beauty of the nature. The ambiance is simply wonderful and one great opportunity to appreciate Almighty Allah's Creations.

    Yours Truly

    Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alhamdulillah Eddie,
    Our past are always beautiful to remember. I have learned that when we enter Jannah, INSYA ALLAH, we will also recall our life on Earth and we will sit in reclining position on a reclined chair and chat with our neighbours in Jannah about those memories.

    I imagined the reclined chair to be like beach chair. But when i transit at Amman Airport en-route to Geneva, I saw there were many reclined chair in the airport. Many people were sitting there.

    I am sure that scene are very common in Arab countries, where people like to sit in reclining position, while our airpors followed the European style with sofas.

    About 7 Star Resort Forest of Perak what is the contact number and who is the contact person, kalau Uncle ada chance bawak group pergi sana.

    ReplyDelete